|As many of you may know, the official fan
club of Cat Stevens was titled ' The Fantasy Ring and was
headed by Val Davies ( Alun Davies wife) and Sarah
Harrison. Over the few years the fan club was in operation, they distributed a couple
different issues of the 'Fantasy Ring' booklets to it's members. This particular booklet
is one of the first booklets that was sent to its members. It's not a big booklet but
interesting to read. It measures about 9 " x 6 " and has a glossy cover to it.
All the pages are made of shiny-coated paper. I especially enjoyed reading the poem by the
fan " A Night at the Auditorium Theatre. I am dating myself here by saying, I
remember those flashcubes and sitting impatiently waiting to see Cat come out on stage.
And when he finally appeared, the show was over all to soon. It was fun going back in time
if only for a few minutes while placing this book on line. I hope you have as much fun
reading the Fantasy Ring as I had. A special thank you to Jane Irwin
for trusting me enough to send her rare memorabilia, so I could place it on
line for all to enjoy.
The Fantasy Ring
- page 1 & 2
The Fantasy Ring Book has taken some while to get together mainly because
of a lack of contributions which, perhaps, might have been due to the time you spent
writing to me personally! However, this is not a criticism Your letters have been
fantastic; ego boosters for me as well as Steve. They make me think that our Ring is very
special to us all, and I hope it will continue in this way for a long time to come.
As usual with first
editions we have to feel our way carefully, and by the next issue I hope we will have been
able to create a more constructive magazine.
So, you have pictures of
Steve, his band, and even Sarah and myself now at least you know who you are writing
We hope you will enjoy this
first attempt and let us have your comments, as this is an important part of the feeling
of our Ring.
Finally, more than anything
else, a big thank you to Steve for bringing us all together with his music and songs. My
love to you all..... VAL
- page 3 & 4
for a thousand free cokes...
These two pages were
originally intended to be devoted entirely to pictures and chat on Cat Stevens and his
musical career at present but Steve wanted to pay a small tribute to his father and his
restaurant, hence the heading and the photo on the opposite page. The photograph
represents the front cover of the menu for the Restaurant, which is called STAVROS.
Stavros in the Greek language means cross; it is also the name of his father. The
restaurant itself is the face-lifted Moulin Rouge, which is on the corner of New Oxford
Street and Shafteshury Avenue, (serving Greek meals and snacks) and is well worth a visit
if any of you are in London.
Most of the writing on this
page is as a direct result of Steves notes which he made, all I have done is to tidy
them up a bit for him. For your interest the music he is at present listening to is
"Fingers" by Airto and "Fulfillingness" by Stevie Wonder and the
people he is reading are Mirdad, Buddha and Pythagoras. Somewhere in these notes he wanted
this poem by Lao Tsu included which he hopes you like:
- Knowing others is wisdom
- Knowing the self is enlightenment
- Mastering others requires force
- Mastering the self requires strength
- He who knows he has enough is rich
- Perseverance is a sign of will power
- He who stays where he is endures
- To die but not to perish is to be eternally
Although its old news now, Steves
latest single is Another Saturday Night, an old Sam Cooke number. This
single was recorded in Australia whilst on tour and the brass mix added in Tokyo. The
proceeds from the tour and part of the money from the single will be going to a charitable
trust which is called The Hermes Foundation, and whose aims are ultimate
freedom for childrens fragile growth in a world of factories for conditioned souls -
a return to truth, love and wisdom."
- Page 5 & 6
- A Fans Poem
- A Night at the Auditorium Theatre
- How do l look?
- Yes I have the tickets.
- Yes I have the camera and the flashcubes
- Yes I have the tickets.
- Lets go.
- Where is this place?
- Turn on the radio.
- Open the window, the pipe smells.
- Whats the problem?
- Get in the other lane.
- The truck hit a bridge.
- I see the Sears Building.
- Theres the post office.
- "JESUS" Oh I hope he sings that.
- Park here.
- Lock the door,
- Park someplace else.
- Watch that car.
- Lets go.
- Lock the door.
- Watch the other car.
- Thats it?
- Look at the crowd.
- Walk around the block.
- Lets go to Goldblatts.
- You want some candy?
- No Ill puke.
- Lets go.
- Sears is closed.
- Sky pilot xxx wow
- Adult books
- Adult posters
- We just came from here.
- People are going in.
- Lets go. Should I take out the
- NO FLASHCUBES!!!
- First balcony. Three more flights. Next
- Here are your seats.
- Everything looks so miniature.
- 1 have seat 5, this is seat 4. 3,4, 5, see I
have seat 5.
- Theres someone onstage. Is it ALUN?
- Who is it?
- I can see them moving backstage. Someone
just lit a
- Cigarette back there.
- Ill get some programs.What if he gets
- Oh boy. Let me get my camera ready.
- Let me see that. It looks like the picture
in the paper.
- Whats that noise? Whos
that on stage? Is it ALUN?
- Well here he comes, this is it.
- What thats not CAT STEVENS,
thats Linda Lewis.
- More time to wait. I cant wait.
- My fingers are stuck to the camera.
- Well here he comes.What 15 more
- Jesus Ill go crazy.
- Whos that? THERES ALUN!
THERES JEAN!! Wheres CAT?
- Where? There.
- There right there."WILD WORLD". Oh
- What a doll. Nothing. Oh a cut up finger.
- Poor baby.
- A puppet on stage, pick it up.
- Wow look at that body.
- OOh gee.
- Dont apologize.
- "KING OF TREES. Get a
picture of this.
- Who me?
- Do you know youre not supposed to have
- Well, youre not.
- Well Im sorry
- Give me them.
- Ah ha I fooled him, a burned out flashcube.
- Hes leaving. Look at that body.
Hes bowing. Hes gone.
- Jesus the noise.
- Hes back.
- Now hes leaving again.
- (I cant get over that great body)
- Come back before the matches burn out.
- Hes back.
- Sing, sing, sing.
- Hes leaving.
- Wait sweety so I can get another picture!!!
- Hes gone.
- Come back.
- The lights are going on. He isnt
- Oh my God Ill never see him again.
- Look at all these people.
- A full moon. Its a moonshadowy night!
- Got to write to Val before I go to sleep.
- I gotta go to sleep.
- Sweet quiet dreams (I hope).
- Michelle Hayse
- page 7 & 8
- page 9 & 10
included some pictures of each member of the band that worked with Steve on the last tour.
The cartoons were all done by Steve, and I think they are great although not altogether
The band members are Alun
Davies (guitar and vocals), Gerry Conway (drums) Jean Roussel (keyboards), Bruce Lynch
(bass) Larry Steele (percussion) Susie Lynch and Anna Peacock (backup vocals). Linda Lewis
also accompanied Steve on tour with her own band and is at present recording a song which
Steve specially wrote for her called "Old School Yard".
On the subject of
recording, as Im sure you are aware there have been rumours of a live
album from Steve, but this idea has been shelved for the time being. Steve is living in
Rio at the moment and writing some songs out there for a new album, so thats
something we can look forward to.
- THE FANTASY RING
- by Cat Stevens '74
- page 13 & 14
- page 15 & 16
As most of
you probably know, Steve was brought up, along with sister Anita and brother David, above
the restaurant -- now called Stavros, then known as the Moulin Rouge - owned and run by
However, in 1970 he decided
to move to a house of his own, and now lives in a quiet street in Fulham. Its a
small house, tailored distinctly to Steves requirements, very definitely a
"working" house. The top floor is very light, being completely white, and Steve
often paints here, its a relaxed room, and the dividing walls having been removed
its nice and large.There is a bathroom, and the bed is on a wooden platform set into
Downstairs is again one big
room, half for a dining area, and half for sounds, with earphones set into a carpeted well
in the centre, and the whole of this area is dark brown, with soft velour covering the
walls and ceiling.
In the dining area stands
the "Tea for the Tillerman" tree, inside which is a dumb waiter down to the
kitchen, very useful for ferrying the cups of tea up and down! Downstairs is the kitchen
an(l studio, where Steve often works on perfecting ideas etc., before going into other,
more sophisticated studios, to actually record.The garden was finished just before Steve
left on his latest tour, and is looking lovely. Its Japanese in design, and a bamboo
screen at the bottom was the inspiration for the screens used on stage during the tour of
England and Europe.
Set in the lawn is a pond,
with water running into it over gray pebbles, the sound of which is very soothing.
By the time Steve returns
to London, the garden should be fully established, perhaps we shall have a picture of it
in the next Fantasy Ring book
The tour is now coming to an end, and we
have included in this issue pictures and a little information al)out the people who have
traveled round the world and back again with Steve, and who worked hard to make.
- page 17 & 18
- More Poetry
- Ive got it, time
- Shines like a dime in my pocket
- Never spend it
- Only check my pocket
- And mend it
- So it wont slip through
- A quarter century has swept his face
- And weathered his soul to the ways of fools
- Thinking is a joy that most misplace
- And loving people is against the rules.
- Nothing is nothing that I can say
- Moods without a shell to live
- Emptiness never far away
- Little enough I have to give.
- Tears wont flow in lonely nights
- Dawn soon marks the fate of days
- Sleep overcomes the weariest fight
- When will this loneliness fade away.
- The beauty of simple things is appealing
- Renews my body with trust and feeling
- But memories of pain
- Wont fade, like moisture, so quick
- From a hot August afternoon meadow
- After rain.
- Sitting here alone
- Looking into the garden
- I realise that without loving
- And being loved
- Our lives are incomplete.
- With love we flourish and bloom
- Gaining strength
- And accomplishing things thought impossible.
- Radiating love to all those around
- The words from the song come flooding into
my mind How true they seem Yes, Im ready to love.
- Yesterdays gone.Tomorrow never knows
- What to expect. So who cares?
- Today is all I know.
- How long I lived in the past,
- Bitter-sweet pleasures prefacing only pain,
- Memories stir emotions laid to rest.
- Enjoyed once, now better left alone.
- I see nothing in my future years,
- Loneliness .Tears.
- A vortex of uncertainty.
- Today is all I need.
- page 19 & 20
- page 21 & 22
|Dont forget we want the
next Fantasy Ring book to be bigger, fatter, and full of your own original ideas, either
poems, short stories, or pictures and drawings.
We have with the Fantasy Ring, a unique opportunity to bring together
ideas of people in many different countries, and this is what Steve really would like to
see, and was one of the reasons for printing Teaser and the Firecat in 12 different
- Fantasy Ring
- Fantasy Ring
- Pause Fan Club Magazine